Wednesday 12 June 2013

I've had a busy few days of extra curricular anti-cancer activities and I'm feeling good. Yesterday I visited the Royal London Hospital for Intergrated Medicine to learn about mistletoes and it turns out there's more to the plant than a Christmas kiss.
Mistletoe extract, also known in the medical world as Iscador was first used to treat cancer in the 1920's. It's main aim is to support the body's own defence system but may also have some effect in directly combating cancerous cells. Its a complementary therapy and by no means claiming to be a cancer cure, but some studies have indicated an improvement in the survival time when Inscador is added to more conventional treatment. The only thing is, the most popular method of administration is by injection. By yours truly. Gulp!
The hospital itself is a fascinating place so I'm glad I came across it from hearing about Iscador; it's quite well hidden. It's managed by the NHS but it seems more affable than your average hospital. They intergrate the best of conventional and complementary treatments for all sorts of complaints such as IBS and depression. The Dr's rooms were covered in plants and it felt like a healthy environment to be in.
You have to be referred by your doctor and they will need to write to the Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine, Complementary Cancer Care Clinic, 60 Great Ormond Street, WC1N 3HR.
It's relatively safe method of therapy so it seems like a no brainer to me. People have started coming up to me on the street and kissing me though, and it's making me blush!!


No comments:

Post a Comment