Thursday 20 June 2013

As part of Clerkenwell Design Week last month, I saw an exhibition that I've not been able to stop thinking about. Design Exquis is 'inspired by the collective method of creation, developed by the Surrealists, known as Esquisite corps'. Using the notion not dissimilar to the game Consequences (a great story-telling game in itself) curators Florian Dussopt and Geraldine Vessiere set four artists a challenge. The first is given an object which is chosen for its design qualities, they have to respond to this by developing a piece of art work. On completion their work is then passed on to the next artist for them to use as inspiration for their creation, and so on.
A mixture of Florian's whole-hearted enthusiasm in explaining the exhibition and the fascinating response to the challenge from the artists made this a must see. Luckily, the next exhibition is on its way. The next Design Exquis will be showing at the Roca London Gallery, 7th September - 16th November.
Until then, I have organised my own Equisite corps between my pals. I am kicking things off this week and am passing my piece on today. Exciting! I already can't wait to see the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment