Monday 24 June 2013

Round 4: Cancer you are going downnn!

I'm in hospital for round 4 of chemotherapy and I'm absolutely freezing! To reduce the risk of hair loss I have opted to use the 'cold cap'. A spectacular contraption that reaches minus 6 degrees, aiming to restrict the blood flow to the fast growing hair cells so they are not affected by the drugs. It is only 50% effective though and you have to wear it every time the drugs are administered. It is cold, I was warned by my doctor that some people find it unbearable, but if you are worried about hair loss there is no harm in trying.
Unfortunately, I have a tiny head and I was given a normal-person sized cap the first time I came for chemotherapy so it hasn't really worked for me - I had to shave my hair - so it is definitely worth checking that the cap is tight enough. I still have some hair and I want to hold on to it so I'm carrying on, this time with a teeny cap.
Patti Smith is keeping me company with her fabulous autobiography 'Just Kids'. She tells an inspiring tale if ever I did hear one. My sister of Lola Piccolola is also here keeping me generously supplied with healthy snacks and stories.
It's really not all that bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment